If you ask us what is zakat? We would define it in one word as charity. In detail, it’s the third pillar of Islam which completes your Imaan or faith. It’s something are been instructed in Quran and guided properly by Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) in Hadith (The prophet’s sayings.)
You shall observe the Salah and give the obligatory charity (Zakat), and bow down with those who bow down.’ (Qur’an 2:43)
Now you’ll be confused as to how to measure it and to whom you are obliged to give charity. So, here is a short guide and instructions for you that will surely he’ll you up to carry out this duty rightfully.
- What is zakat actually — A well to do Muslim has to pay an obligatory 2.5% of his/her earnings as charity annually to the ones in need.
- Why to give zakat — Giving Zakat purifies your wealth and keeps it safe from sudden mishaps and losses. It also benefits you spiritually as you tend to understand what giving actually is and care for others in this way.
- Zakat is not a tax — Remember, you aren’t paying tax in the form of zakat. It’s something that you give through all your heart and soul to the people who are desperately in need of it. And the rewards of the same can never be fake or worldly claps. It’s all about expecting the rewards from Almighty alone.
- When are obliged to pay zakat — Not all Muslims are expected to carry out this task. You can only give zakat if you are sound adult Muslim with a specific amount of wealth for at least one lunar year. By the specific amount we mean the amount that exceeds your regular basic amount leaving your house or vehicle and the minimum amount of expenditure on your family.
- Whom can you give zakat to — It is very important to inquire about the person of a group whom you are paying the zakat. They should be really deserving and not having good beyond the Nasab level. For the amount of Nasab, you’ll have to check with the Muslim scholars of that time about the amount it includes.
Most of you think that zakat should be given only in the month of Ramadan. But that’s not true. You can give this charity on any month when you feel you can take this amount from your servings. But yes, it’s rewards do get doubled when you give zakat during this month. We just hope you got all your queries answered about zakat. It’s such a noble action that you all should perform with your utmost best wishes. Remember, if every wealthy Muslim provides the zakat regularly and properly there will be no poor person sleeping hungry in their homes.
Note – This post is a part of #blogchatterA2Z challenge
One Comment Add yours
Yeah, I know this from my close friend. Even while we were in hostel, she used to follow all the traditions very diligently. I got to know a lot from her