Knowing chikungunya and dengue.
Mosquitoes borne diseases are on a high since the last decade in India and other Asian countries. Out of these, dengue is often fatal and chikungunya can also lead to death in various cases. The cause of them both is mosquitoes bites though their sources lie from different mosquito families.
On the onset of these diseases, experts get confused mostly detecting whether its dengue or chikungunya because the symptoms of dengue and that of chikungunya are almost similar with mild differences. Hence, medication often gets mislead and the process of curing the illness takes longer than usual. Today, let’s get discriminating the symptoms of both the fevers so that we get a better understanding of them.
- Sudden high fever
- Severe headache
- Pain in eyes
- Body and joints pain
- Stomach pain
- Bleeding of nose.
- Pain in joints with a slight swelling
- Headache and fever
Discrimination between chikungunya and dengue!
- In dengue fever, the incubation period is of about 3-7 days and remains for about 4-6 weeks while in chikungunya fever, the incubation period is of 1-10 days and it remains for about a fortnight.
- Dengue fever carries high fever with severe headache, rashes and joint pains. In chikungunya, fever is accompanied with extreme joint pain and mild rashes.
- Muscle pain is mostly around the back portion of arms and legs and there’s a high degree of joint pain on shoulders and knees. While is chikungunya, joint pain remains on hands and feet with some swelling at the area.
- Dengue symptoms in adults includes heavy bleeding sometimes from nose too.
- Rashes are mostly experienced on the face in dengue while in chikungunya, the rashes can be felt on the face, trunk, lips, palm and face.
Preventive measures! While we know both of the diseases have no proper vaccines till recently, it’s important to follow the precautions religiously to avoid the onset of these dangerous diseases.
- Wearing of full sleeves clothes to avoid exposing the skin to mosquito bites.
- Using of effective and skin friendly mosquito repellent creams like GoodKnight mosquito repellent skin gel.
- When outdoors, keeping the kids safe by using mosquito repellent patches.
- Closing off the windows after sunset or using the mosquito repellent machines at home.
Just remember being aware of these diseases and using preventing measures to avoid it and experiencing the pain of it and the painful efforts that goes in curing it!